The image of Islam is dominated by the views of the militant Jihadists. They are setting the agenda and seemingly thousands of young English Muslims are taking up their extreme version of Islam.
I am an antitheist. I believe all religion is constructed by human beings and there is no god. However I am tolerant and I believe in freedom. I believe that all people should have the right to follow and practice whatever religion they want.
Perhaps it is time for moderate Muslims to stand up and be counted. If Islam is a tolerant religion that means ‘peace’ then there should be an active opposition to the barbarity being practiced by the extremists.
Do Muslims around the world believe:
- Non-Muslims must be converted to Islam?
- That failure to convert is punishable by death?
- That apostasy is punishable by death?
- That blasphemy is punishable by death?
- That anyone should be stoned to death for even the severest crime?
- That people should be forced to adopt strict codes of dress such as Burqas for women and beards for men?
- That women should not be educated?
- That all the world should be forced to convert to Islam?
- That personal freedom is wrong?
- That music and the arts should be banned?
- That other religion’s images should be destroyed?
- That the West has a war against Islam?
- That it is ever right to punish people with violence and mutilation?
- That women are second class citizens who do not have the same rights as men?
- That politics and decision making are the province of men?
- That the culture of 600 AD Islam is preferable to that of modern civilisation?
- That having large families is good?
- That Allah has given them the right to impose their views on everyone else in the harshest manner possible?
If reasonable Muslims do not believe that then perhaps they need to shout about it and take active steps to stop their sons from getting caught up in such intolerant extremism.
The alternative is surely that we all learn to coexist in peace, tolerance and freedom. That those of religious persuasion can accept the views of others, not oppress people and live in harmony.
There is no room for hatred.
We can build a positive zeitgeist and make the world a better place! We can!!