Brexit, for me, has been the biggest disaster for this country since the Second World War. It has diminished us greatly and made us a far worse place to live.
Here’s why I think that is the case:
- It has empowered the minority of British who are racist, xenophobic and nationalistic. They now think they represent the mainstream of British thinking and have the right to feel superior and abuse foreigners.
- It has driven a wedge between us and our closest allies – the European nations. The EU was devised as a means of opening trade and fostering collaboration between our neighboring countries, thus tying us closely together, bonding us economically and preventing disputes and division leading to conflict and war. Hostility has been a hallmark of Europe throughout history. It could again. We’ve already had gunboat diplomacy.
- It has insulating Britain and removed our freedoms to travel, study and work. This has made it much harder for Brits living in the EU, students wanting to study or travel in the EU, Brits wanting to work in the EU. There is now less freedom, less opportunity and a mound of red tape. My grandchildren have narrower horizons.
- It has created chaos with all the joint ventures, scientific, commercial, law enforcement, antiterrorism, and information. We have had to replicate, at great cost, many of the things that we previously shared with Europe.
- Travel and Trade used to move completely freely. Now we have massive amounts of red tape, huge border controls with extra complexes customs officers, delays, inspections, bureaucracy and costs.
- It has cost us an absolute fortune. Far from saving £350 million a week we have already spent more than we paid into the EU during the whole of our 40 years! We have employed an army of solicitors, bureaucrats, customs officers and officials. Firms have fled into Europe or gone bust.
- It is threatening to rip the union apart. Scotland and Ireland might well break away to the detriment of us all.
- It has landed us with the most extreme right-wing incompetent, sleazy government we have ever had.
I cannot think of a single benefit of this disastrous decision.
We wrested back control from an EU government which we were an important part of and helped shape and gave it to a bunch of arrogant Eton Schoolboys who have not the slightest degree of understanding or compassion for ordinary people. They are in it for themselves.
Somehow many people think this was worth doing.
I think we were lied to and conned!!
This has been an unmitigated disaster and the worst of it is that we now have this lazy, inept clown as a Prime Minister!